The Utah State Board of Education (USBE) will be holding focus groups in September in preparation for revising the rules governing educator preparation programs, both traditional and alternative, in instructional license areas (e.g. elementary, secondary, special education...).
Focus groups will be held in the evenings to help facilitate teacher participation. Most of the meetings will be at the USBE office in downtown Salt Lake City. Funding for mileage and substitute teachers will be available to participants that are required to travel more than 50 miles for the meeting. More details will be provided to participants. The makeup of each focus group will be primarily centered on one or two specific license areas. In order to be selected for a particular focus group, an individual must meet the specific criteria for that focus group.
In order to simplify the process for selecting participants, please complete the survey if you are interested in participating. The survey will remain open until 5:00 p.m. Monday, August 27.
The dates and times of the focus groups are:
- School Principals and Assistant Principals; 5 -7 p.m. Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at USBE (note: the topic is teacher preparation)
- Early Childhood Education and Elementary; 5 -7 p.m. Thursday, September 20, 2018 at USBE
- Special Education (early childhood and K-12) and Deaf Education; 5 -7 p.m. Friday, September 21, 2018 at USBE
- First-year teachers only (any license area); 5-7 p.m. Wednesday, September 25, 2018 at USBE
- Secondary and CTE; 5 -7 p.m. Thursday, September 26, 2018 at USBE
- First-year teachers only (any license area); 4 -6 p.m. Friday September 28, 2018 at Nebo School District