Think Central licenses for literacy have expired (math is not affected). Please complete this survey to let T&L know if you would like a license. Elementary Literacy Survey.
The purpose of the video is to welcome our new teachers to Jordan School District, introduce key personnel and department heads, and provide contact information for essential resources.
The New Teacher Induction video should be viewed by all new teachers by August 14th. The video presentation is at the principal’s discretion on date and time; however, we encourage new teachers be provided the opportunity to view the video with their assigned mentor. For this purpose, please make sure each new teacher has been assigned a mentor by August 10th.
We also encourage all staff members to have an opportunity to view the video. You may want to include the video as part of your teacher training, or to be viewed by teams. The video lasts approximately 25 minutes.
Ongoing induction training and support will be provided by the Teaching and Learning Department. More information is coming.
Jordan School District Board of Education: jordandistrict.org/board/
Human Resources: workatjordan.org
Insurance Department: jordandistrict.org/departments/insurance/
Payroll Department: jordandistrict.org/departments/payroll/
Student Services: studentservices.jordandistrict.org
Superintendent Dr. Anthony Godfrey: sos.jordandistrict.org
Teaching & Learning: tl.jordandistrict.org
Education Language Services is a program within Teaching & Learning that provides culturally competent educational support to schools, families, and communities of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds through program services, professional interaction, effective communication, and community collaboration.
- Payroll Due: Aug. 4
- Last day to change direct deposit accounts: Aug. 10
** Please let Payroll know of any changes to your account after this date.
- Any bank account changes will affect your check on payday.
- Paychecks available for viewing in Employee Access: Aug. 21
** Strongly recommended
- Payday: Aug. 25
True Time Deadlines for Pay Period July 1 – August 2, 2020
- Employee Final Submittal: Aug. 5
- First Approval: Aug. 7
- Final Approval: Aug. 11
Please inform new True Time employees of these deadlines.
Jordan Education Foundation (JEF) CLASSROOM GRANT applications will be accepted August 1, 2020 through October 31, 2020
JEF Classroom Grants are used to fund a teacher’s innovative and creative classroom projects that enrich standard curriculum and directly enhance learning opportunities for students in Jordan School District.
The Covid-19 pandemic has affected our community in many ways and while some expected funding has been lost for this year's Classroom Grants, JEF is pleased to announce that Classroom Grants will resume this year!
Classroom Grant applications will be accepted from August 1, 2020 to October 31, 2020 or until funding is depleted. However, actual grant awards may be received up through Friday, November 20, 2020 – OR UNTIL FUNDING IS DEPLETED. Both the application period and the funding period will end before November 20 if JEF funds have been exhausted by eligible projects. Bottom line: APPLY EARLY!
Changes have been made to the 2020-21 grant funding amounts and grants will only be awarded until funding is depleted. JEF will fund UP TO $250 PER TEACHER. These allotments can be combined and put toward a larger grant amount. For example, four teachers can combine and apply for a $1,000 Grant. OR, four teachers can combine and apply for a grant on DonorsChoose (WITH A MATCHING OFFER) and receive up to $2,000 in materials. In any scenario, JEF will only be able to fund $250 per teacher. Teachers may only apply once - either individually or with a team. We continue to encourage applying through DonorsChoose.org to take advantage of matching offers.
Restrictions: The following categories are not eligible for funding: Salaries, professional development, honorariums, stipends, & educator travel.
Licensed, full-time teachers in Jordan District (Utah), including art, P.E. and music, may apply.
2020-21 Classroom Grant Application Process:
- Step 1 Go to donorschoose.org. Create a Donors Choose account and project. Use the criteria provided within the JEF Google Form to describe your project.
- Step 2 Go to jordaneducationfoundation.org, and select the Classroom Grants APPLY HERE link found on the front page.
- Step 3 Provide the link to your Donors Choose project in Section 2 of the JEF Google Form. (This is how we’ll know which projects to fund).
- Step 4 If your project does not meet Donors Choose requirements or is for materials/licenses that are not covered by Donors Choose, please complete the “APPLICATIONS NOT APPLICABLE TO DONORS CHOOSE” Section 3 of the JEF Google Form.
- Step 5 Submit application to JEF
If you have any questions about the application or funding process, please call Jordan Education Foundation at 801-567-8125.
The Teaching & Learning Science team is offering summer science professional development classes on August 3, 2020 at the Auxilary Services Building. There are 12 seats available in each class and unlimited online attendees. Each session is one hour long and offered multiple times between 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM. Specific session times will be available when you register in JPLS.
- Intro to 3D Science & FOSS Online
JPLS - 101611
- Science Model Lesson (FOSS Based)
JPLS - 101610
- Intro to Science
JPLS - 101612
This session will give you ALL the information about science curriculum you can use this year! Don't miss this one!
Important Payroll dates for July 2020
- Payroll Due: July 2
- Last day to change direct deposit accounts: July 12
** Please let Payroll know of any changes to your account after this date. Any bank account changes will affect your check on payday.
- Paychecks available for viewing in Employee Access: July 21
** Strongly recommended
- Payday: July 23
Attendance Incentive will be paid on the July 25th pay check to eligible employees
True Time Deadlines for Pay Period
June 1 – June 30, 2020
- Employee Final Submittal: July 8
- First Approval: July 10
- Final Approval: July 14
Please inform new True Time employees of these deadlines.
Independence and Pioneer Day Holidays
- Independence Day: July 3
- Pioneer Day: July 24
As per DP 335(B): Employees who have not been approved by Human Resources for using a personal day before and after a holiday may be docked (certified $116 or classified 40% of their daily rate).
Please refer to policy for further clarification.
For information regarding legal liability protection for school district employees, please review the following:
Effective July 1, 2020, TrueTime access from home will be disabled for all employees. If you still have employees at your location needing TrueTime access from home, please email the Payroll Director at email@example.com, to enable this access for employees.
The following are new administrative assignments:
Assignment Effective July 1, 2020:
- Adrienne Yancey, teacher at West Jordan Elementary, appointed assistant principal at Eastlake and Golden Fields Elementary.
- Ami Shah, assistant principal at Eastlake and West Jordan Elementary, appointed assistant principal at West Jordan Elementary.
- Kathryn Crandall, assistant principal at Columbia and Golden Fields Elementary, appointed assistant principal at Columbia Elementary.
- Elizabeth Felt, assistant principal at Blackridge and South Jordan Elementary, appointed assistant principal at Blackridge Elementary.
- Kimberly Ranney, achievement coach in Canyons School District, appointed assistant principal at Rose Creek and South Jordan Elementary.
- Sharon Jensen, principal at Valley High, appointed consultant in Student Services, replacing Mary Ann Erdmann who retired.
- Jacinto Peterson, assistant principal at Valley High, appointed principal at Valley High, replacing Sharon Jensen who was transferred.
- Tyler Jones, assistant principal at South Hills Middle, appointed assistant principal at Valley High, replacing Jacinto Peterson who was promoted.
- Spencer Campbell, assistant principal at Elk Ridge Middle, appointed assistant principal at South Hills Middle, replacing Tyler Jones who was transferred.
- Danielle Hanson, assistant principal at West Jordan Middle, appointed assistant principal at Elk Ridge Middle, replacing Spencer Campbell who was transferred.
- Georgia Wing, assistant principal at Herriman High, appointed assistant principal at West Jordan Middle, replacing Danielle Hanson who was transferred.
- John Vincent, assistant principal at Bingham High, appointed assistant principal at Herriman High, replacing Georgia Wing who was transferred.
Don’t Miss Out on Open Enrollment | May 15 – June 30
All benefit eligible employees will need to login to the InfinityHR enrollment system to verify dependents, add beneficiary information, make open enrollment elections, enroll in Flexible Spending and confirm H.S.A. payroll deductions. Instructions below
Open Enrollment Tips
FSA and Dependent Care
If you wish to participate in flexible spending or dependent care, you must elect new amounts for your flexible spending account each year using the online enrollment tool https://www.infinityhr.com/. Amounts do not roll over.
Please go on online using the online enrollment tool https://www.infinityhr.com/ to verify H.S.A. payroll deductions. If you do not enter your monthly deduction, it will revert to $0. If you already have a direct deposit on file with payroll you do not need to complete the Direct Deposit section.
Benefit Statement Confirmation
Be sure you receive a Confirmation Statement after you review and confirm your elections.
The federal government recently issued temporary guidance related to flexible spending accounts
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic congress recently expanded eligible expenses to include over the counter medication without a prescription and feminine hygiene care products. If you have any questions about what is covered on FLEX, give PEHP Flex Department a call at 801-366-7503.
Members may use any flexible spending account balances beyond the original deadline. Anyone using a medical (FSA) or a dependent care flex plans will have until December 31, 2020 to spend any unused amounts at the end of the plan year and until March 31, 2020 to submit claims. For example, the plan year ends August 31, 2020, and a member had excess FSA funds that they couldn’t use in the last few months due to COVID-19 closing many medical services, that member could use any excess funds between September 1 and December 31, 2020 without forfeiting any unused amounts under the “use it or lose it” rule. Any unused amounts after December 31, 2020 will then be forfeited to the plan.
In addition, members may change, or revoke any flexible spending account elections at any time during the calendar year 2020. This means you can stop your deductions going forward. However, if you have already spent the funds your will not be allowed to cancel the plan. For example, if a person has elected more than the person can reasonably spend on dependent care, they may change their election at any point on a prospective basis during the calendar year. No amounts are allowed to be refunded.
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, many educators who requested authorization for a background check were unable to get fingerprinted before the expiration date on the form. The form normally expires after 60 days. The Utah State Board of Education has a contingency in place to allow educators to use these authorization forms, regardless of the expiration date. There is no need for the educator to get a new form.
Frequently Asked Questions
License Changes starting July 1, 2020
Q: I have a current Level 1, 2 or 3 Utah Educator License?
Your license automatically becomes a Professional Educator License.
Q: I have an expired Level 1, 2 or 3 Utah Educator License?
When you renew your Utah Educator License, it will be renewed to a Professional Educator License. Until then it will reflect the level you had when it expired.
Q: How do I renew my expired level 1, 2 or 3 Utah Educator License?
Level 2 and 3 licenses renew online at Educator Licensing Online. Level 1 licenses renew through the Licensing Department. Please contact USBE Licensing at 801-538-7740 for details.
Q: I am currently in ARL what happens to my license?
If your ARL license is not expired and you have a current assignment in CACTUS, your ARL license will automatically convert to an Associate Educator Level.
If your ARL license is expired but you are active in the program, please contact ARL as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-538-7740 to determine next steps.
Q: I have an APT License what happens to my license?
If your APT license is not expired and you have a current assignment in CACTUS, it will automatically convert to an Associate Educator License.
All other APT licenses expire June 30, 2020.
Q: I have a Level 1 or 2 Local Education Agency (LEA)-Specific License, what happens to it?
These licenses will expire on June 30, 2020 regardless of the expiration date noted in CACTUS. Please contact your LEA (employing district or charter school) to find out future steps.
Q: I have an International Guest Teacher license?
Your license automatically becomes a Professional Educator License with the same expiration date.
Utah State Board of Education – FAQ Licensing Changes on 7/1/2020 – ADA Compliant 5/2020 page 2
Q: I am in the ARL program to add a new license area of concentration/endorsement to my existing Utah Educator License?
On July 1, if your standard Utah Educator License is current, it will automatically become a Professional Educator License. The license area of concentration you are earning will become an Associate Area of Concentration and the endorsement will become an Associate level Endorsement.
Q: I have a State-approved Endorsement Plan (SAEP) in an endorsement?
The endorsement will become an Associate Endorsement with the same expiration date.
Q: My SAEP expires on Oct 1, 2020 and I can’t take the required courses this summer because of COVID-19?
Check our website after August 31, 2020 to complete and submit an SAEP Endorsement extension request.
Q: I have a restricted license area of concentration or endorsement what will happen to it?
These license areas and endorsements will expire on June 30, 2020. Please contact your LEA (employing district or charter school) to find out future steps.
Q: Why did my license area of concentration change?
As of July 1, 2020,
- Elementary (K-6) and Elementary (1-8) are being combined into one license area Elementary Education, which will qualify you to teach grades Kindergarten-Grade 8.
- Middle and Secondary Education are being combined as Secondary Education.
- Communications Disorders (K-12) has been renamed Audiologist.
- Administrative/Supervisory (K-12) has been renamed School Leadership.
403(b), 401(k), 457, Roth IRA, Traditional IRA
Notice to Employees
As an employee of Jordan School District (JSD), you are entitled to take advantage of federal law which allows employees to improve their retirement benefits by voluntarily participating in their own Tax Sheltered Annuity (TSA) program. With a TSA, you can set aside a certain amount of tax-deferred money each month toward your retirement.
Utah Retirement Systems (URS):
All employees are able to contribute into a TSA. If you are a contracted employee, a portion of your state retirement plan with the Utah Retirement Systems (URS) is in the form of a percentage contribution paid by the District into a 401(k) account. You can increase your retirement benefit by paying additional money into your URS 401(k) account, or by contributing into a URS 457 plan, as well as a Roth or Traditional IRA. As an employee of JSD, these services are provided free of charge. URS does not endorse any outside financial advisors. Please beware of any financial advisor claiming to be affiliated with URS, or attempting to provide detailed information about URS. Information and forms regarding the 401(k), 457, and IRA savings plans are available at www.urs.org.
You also have the option to begin a 403(b) plan with one of the various companies offering TSA programs. The 403(b) Universal Availability Notice is attached regarding this option. You may visit JSD’s third party administrator, National Benefit Services’s (nbs), website at nbsbenefits.com/403b for additional information.
Jordan School District does not endorse nor guarantee the performance of any TSA plan or company. Your participation is strictly voluntary and at your own risk.
Advanced registration is required so please see the instructions below to register for an appointment on the URS website. Appointments fill quickly so don’t delay.
- Go to www.urs.org.
- Log into your myURS account by clicking on LOGIN in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click on the Education Tab.
- Click on “Individual Retirement Planning Sessions”.
- Find the session that works best for you. Select the session to reserve your appointment.
- Please be sure to bring your estimated annual income, retirement account statements (including non-URS), Social Security Statement (get yours at www.ssa.gov) and your investor profile (take the questionnaire at myURS).
- Important Payroll dates for June 2020:
- Payroll Due: including all May absences and approvals: June 2
- Last day to change direct deposit accounts: June 11
- Paychecks available for viewing in Employee Access: June 23
- Payday: June 25
- True Time Deadlines for Pay Period May 4 – May 31, 2020
- Employee Final Submittal: 6/3/20
- First Approval: 6/5/20
- Final Approval: 6/9/20
- Other Dates
- June 1 - Classified Employees accrued vacation days will be allocated.
Greetings Utah Educators and Leaders!
As we move into “The Near Future,” services are becoming more available; educator-related services are included! Specifically, fingerprinting services and testing services are now opening! Hooray!!!
Some fingerprinting locations have started processing fingerprints on a limited basis. Please encourage educators who need to complete a background check to call ahead to verify hours and operation precautions, such as wearing a face mask. If your LEA is doing fingerprinting, please work to establish policies and procedures, including the use of appropriate PPE (gloves, masks, etc.), to keep your employees and those you serve safe.
ETS has announced the Praxis® tests at home solution in response to closures of testing centers. Registration for the first wave of tests begins on May 15 with the first test administration taking place on May 18. While not all of the content assessments will be offered in the first wave of tests at home, most will be available by June 1st. ETS’ COVID-19 website has been updated with some key information regarding the at home solution.
As you encourage your educators to meet requirements for licensure, including background checks and testing, the Educator Licensing team is optimistic that these adjustments will help educators become appropriately licensed prior to the upcoming school year. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I know that many changes to licensing (an already complicated arena) lend itself to more questions. We are here to help you support teachers!
Thank you for all that you do to support Utah’s students and teachers! We will charge into “The New Future” together!
Malia Hite, Ed.D.
Educator Licensing Coordinator
Teaching & Learning | Utah State Board of Education
South Valley Greenhouse will be open Tuesday, May 12 and Thursday, May 14 from 8 am - 1 pm. It is a curbside sale. You will stay in your car and we will give you an order form. Then we will pull your order and bring it to your car and you will pay in the parking lot. Attached is a copy of the order form.
The following is a new administrative assignment:
Assignment Effective July 1, 2020:
- Jessica Vidal, senior improvement coach at Education Direction, is appointed assistant principal at Heartland Elementary School.
We send our heart-felt thanks for all you do!