During the 2019-20 school year, the Department of Teaching and Learning, in partnership with Southern Utah University, will sponsor classes for a Gifted and Talented Teaching Endorsement.
How will a GT teaching endorsement benefit me?
- A GT endorsement will build a knowledge base about an important sector of education.
- A GT endorsement will help teachers build a repertoire of strategies to challenge all students by adding depth, complexity, higher-order thinking, and creativity to daily instruction.
- A GT endorsement will help teachers develop differentiation strategies to better meet the unique needs of high-ability learners in all classrooms.
- A GT endorsement will qualify educators to teach in an ALPS classroom and to hold other positions in gifted and talented programming.
What are the credit requirements for a GT endorsement?
- 16 semester hours of graduate-level course work is required for a GT endorsement.
- Twelve semester credit hours earned in four core classes:
- 5400 3 Credit Hours Education of the Gifted and Talented & Practicum
- 5420 3 Credit Hours Identification/Evaluation in Gifted Education & Practicum
- 5430 3 Credit Hours Curriculum/Materials in Gifted Education & Practicum
- 5440 3 Credit Hours Social and Emotional Needs of the Gifted & Practicum
- 4 semester hours of elective credit:
- Elective credit can be obtained in a variety of ways, including conference attendance, credit earned in another endorsement, an optional class in creativity, and more.
What are the current costs for a GT endorsement?
- SUU Recording Fees: $23 per credit hour / $69 per 3-hour core class.
- Books: $50.00 (approximate) per core class.
- Elective Credit: Fees will vary depending upon the type of class(es) used for credit.
- Please note: These fees are set by outside entities and are subject to change.
What format will be used for instruction? When and where will the classes be held?
- Jordan School District instructors will teach classes in a blended format with two sessions each week:
- One session will be held in a traditional face-to-face (F2F) format.
- One session will be a virtual/online (V) session and will include practical applications.
- Face-to-Face classes will be held on Tuesdays from 4:30-7:30 in the PDC classrooms at the Auxiliary Services Building (ASB) on 7905 South Redwood Road.
- Each core class will last approximately eight weeks. Using a hybrid of face-to-face and virtual/online format, the four core classes can be completed in one school year.
Are you interested in joining the 2019-2020 GT Endorsement cohort?
- Please complete the online form
- Please contact Rebecca Smith at 801-567-8368 with any questions you may have.